Smoke-Free Nova Scotia maintains this section to provide resources for individuals and organizations looking for credible information on tobacco-control issues. This is not intended to be a complete list of tobacco-control groups and information sources.
Smoke-Free Nova Scotia publications
Smoke Free’s Response to Covid-19 – May 5th
Fact Sheet The 2019 NS Youth and Young Adult Vaping Survey findings – December 11, 2019
Response to Health Canada’s consultation on the Federal Tobacco Control Strategy – April 10, 2017
Media Release on Bill 90 – April 28, 2015
Submission to Nova Scotia Law Amendments Committee re Bill 90 – April 22, 2015
Fact Sheet: E-Cigarettes, Waterpipe / Hookah Pipes & Flavoured Tobacco Products – 2014
Government of Canada
- Task Force on Cannabis Legalization and Regulation presents its advice on a framework for legalization and regulation of access to cannabis – December 13, 2016
Extensive public consultations and expert advice informed the development of a comprehensive approach to better protect the health and safety of Canadians.
- Strong Foundation, Renewed Focus: An Overview of Canada’s Federal Tobacco Control Strategy, 2012 – 17 – No Date
- Canadian Tobacco, Alcohol and Drugs Survey (CTADS) – 2013
A biennial survey merging tobacco, alcohol and drug content.
- Canadian Tobacco Use Monitoring Survey (CTUMS) – 2012
Established in 1985 to monitor tobacco use and related issues. The final survey was conducted in 2012.
- Youth Smoking Survey (YSS) – 2013
Established in 2010 to monitor tobacco use in school-aged children (grades 6-12).
- Radon – Another Reason to Quit – 2010
Fact sheet detailing radon exposure concerns.
- Tobacco Reports and Publications
Full list of Health Canada’s reports and publications on tobacco control.
Nova Scotia – Department of Health and Wellness
- Moving Toward a Tobacco-Free Nova Scotia – 2011
Nova Scotia’s 2011 comprehensive tobacco-control strategy report.
- Tobacco-Control Reports and Publications
Full list of Nova Scotia Department of Health and Wellness reports and publications on tobacco control.
- Nova Scotia Health-Status Report – 2015
- Exposure to Second-Hand Smoke at Home, 2014 – 2015
- Smoking, 2014 – 2015
- Tobacco use of Canadians, 2012 and 2013 – 2015
Allied Organizations Links
Non-Smokers Rights Association
Provides updates on current Canadian tobacco industry activities.
- The Evolution of Smoke-Free Outdoor Spaces – 2013
- Child Protection, Foster Care and Second-Hand Smoke – 2008
- Exposing Recent Tobacco Industry Front Groups and Alliances – 2008
- Smoke-Free Casinos and Bingos – 2008
- Smoke-Free Policies at Colleges and Universities – 2008
- Smoke-Free Prisons 2008
- Second-Hand Smoke and Hookah Pipes – 2008
- Smoke-Free Tourism – 2008
Other Smoke-Free Allies
Canadian Institute for Health Information
Independent, not-for-profit organization established in 1994 that provides comprehensive and integrated health information.
Your Health System Indicator – Smoking
Propel Centre for Population Health Impact
Government-supported research center based at the University of Waterloo that aims to address preventable cancer, chronic disease, and their causes in Canada. Tobacco control is currently one if their three programs of focus.
Recent Publications on Tobacco Use
Tobacco Use in Canada: Patterns and Trends – 2015
Launched in 1996, an international tobacco news and information site compiling news about tobacco control policies, products, industry, and related topics.
Front Page Headlines
Smoke-Free Housing Nova Scotia
Smoke-Free Housing Nova Scotia’s goal is to make smoke-free multi-unit housing the norm in Nova Scotia.
Committed to reducing harm related to tobacco use and exposure to tobacco smoke in Kings County, Nova Scotia.